Best Vitamin D Brands in Malaysia 2021
What Is Vitamin D?
Two main dietary forms exist (Trusted Source):
- Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol). Found in some animal foods, like fatty fish and egg yolks.
- Vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol). Found in some plants, mushrooms, and yeasts.
What Does It Do in Your Body?
Vitamin D needs to undergo two conversion steps to become active (Trusted Source, Trusted Source).
First, it is converted to calcidiol, or 25(OH)D, in your liver. This is the storage form of the vitamin.
Second, it is converted to calcitriol, or 1,25(OH)2D, mostly in your kidneys. This is the active, steroid-hormone form of vitamin D.
Calcitriol interacts with the vitamin D receptor (VDR), which is found in almost every single cell in your body (Trusted Source, Trusted Source).
When the active form of vitamin D binds to this receptor, it turns genes on or off, leading to changes in your cells. This is similar to how most other steroid hormones work (Trusted Source, Trusted Source).
Vitamin D affects various cells related to bone health. For example, it promotes the absorption of calcium and phosphorus from your gut (Trusted Source).
Vitamin D ensures that your blood levels of calcium are high enough to meet your body’s demands. However, vitamin D does not fully control where the calcium in your body ends up. That’s where vitamin K steps in. Vitamin K2 supplements have been proven to be more effective than vitamin K1. That's why most of the top vitamin D supplement brands do combine their vitamin D3 with K2.
Can vitamin D help against COVID-19? In recent weeks and months, several publications and studies have suggested that maintaining adequate levels of vitamin D would seem potentially beneficial in fighting the COVID-19 infection.
The statement released on 2 October by the U.S. president’s physician said that in addition to the antibodies, Trump “has been taking zinc, vitamin D, famotidine, melatonin and a daily aspirin.”
A recent study, published in JAMA (JAMA Netw Open. 2020) found that persons who are likely to have deficient vitamin D levels at the time of COVID-19 testing were at substantially higher risk of testing positive for COVID-19 than were persons who were likely to have sufficient levels.
Best Vitamin D Brands in Malaysia 2020
Here are the best vitamin D supplements that you can buy in Malaysia today.
- 2-in-1 SUPPORT: 5000 IU (125mcg) of Vitamin D3 & 100 mcg of Vitamin K2 MK-7 for Strong Bones and a Healthy Cardiovascular System.*
- BETTER THAN THE REST: The only Non-GMO Verified, Vegan Certified, 100% Plant Based Vitamin K2+D3 available. Free of Animal Ingredients such as Lanolin and Bovine.
- 2 PATENT INGREDIENTS: Featuring Vitashine D3 - a patent, plant based form of Vitamin D3 from Lichen and MenaQ7 - a patent form of MK7 from Chickpea.
- ENHANCED ABSORPTION: Vitamin K2 & D3 are both fat soluble and difficult for the body to absorb if not taken with a fat. To help enhance absorption we blend our product with Coconut Oil.
- 1,000 IU / 45 mcg (D3 / K2) per veg capsule
- Also has 3 mg of vitamin C per veg capsule
- Supports Bone Health
- Plus Cardiovascular Support
- Family Owned Since 1968
- GMP Quality Assured
- Contains most concentrated form of calcium which is calcium carbonate
- Each tablet contains Elemental calcium 600mg, Vitamin D3 200IU, Magnesium 50mg, Zinc 7.5mg, Copper 1mg and Manganese 1.8mg
- Sugar free, salt free, lactose free and preservative free
- suggested to take one or two tablets daily or as directed by your physician
- 400 IU (10 mcg): infants, 0–12 months
- 600 IU (15 mcg): children and adults, 1–70 years old
- 800 IU (20 mcg): older adults and pregnant or breastfeeding women
Here is the vitamin D3 content of a few of the best food sources (nih.gov):
|Cod liver oil, 1 tablespoon (15 ml)||1,360 IU / 34 mcg||227%|
|Salmon, cooked, 3 ounces (85 grams)||447 IU / 11 mcg||75%|
|Tuna, canned in water, 3 ounces (85 grams)||154 IU / 4 mcg||26%|
|Beef liver, cooked, 3 ounces (85 grams)||42 IU / 1 mcg||7%|
|1 large whole egg (D is found in yolk)||41 IU / 1 mcg||7%|
|1 sardine, canned in oil, drained||23 IU / 0.6 mcg||4%|
The only excellent dietary source of vitamin D is fish liver oil — such as cod liver oil — which contains upwards of two times the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) in a single tablespoon (15 ml).
Keep in mind that dairy products and cereals are often fortified with vitamin D (Trusted Source).
Some rare mushrooms also harbor vitamin D, and egg yolks contain small amounts.
Post a Comment